Have you heard of a podcast guest release form template and wondered what it is?
Podcasts are a booming form of media, with more people tuning in every year.
Podcast listenership is also on the rise, with an estimated 117.8 million people listening to podcasts monthly.
And podcasters are seeing a rise in young listeners in the age range 18 to 34.
Podcasting has become big business for many entrepreneurs and companies all over the world.
It’s an easy way for business owners to spread the word about their products and services.
But there’s one thing that can bring down their entire enterprise: unhappy guests who want to go back on their word.
To help protect yourself against this type of situation, it’s important to have your podcast guests sign a release form before you record any episodes with them.
A podcast guest release form is an important legal document that can save you a lot of headaches and legal trouble.
As a business lawyer, I work with many entrepreneurs and content creators online and that means I’m the first one to know about worst cases that happen.
I want to help you avoid that legal trouble and a simple way to do is through a podcast guest release form.
Table of Contents
What is a Podcast Guest Release Form Agreement?
A podcast release form agreement is a legally binding contract that allows you to interview your guests and use their audio recordings (audio or video) on your podcast and website.
It’s a written document that every podcast host needs to have in place.
A verbal agreement is not enough especially when a disgruntled former guest decides to sue you for defamatory language or invasion of privacy.
Therefore, it’s important to have a podcast release form agreement in place to protect yourself and your podcast.
A signed release agreement ensures you have proof of their permission to use their podcast interview including guest’s voice, name, videos, and so forth.
This Podcast release agreement lays out the details of the interview, podcast show and what the podcast guest agrees to so that later down the road you have everything you need to refute any legal action brought against you.
One quick note, while I am a lawyer, I am not your attorney so this is not professional legal advice.
I’m simply providing you the podcast release contract template you need to protect your business and sharing helpful legal tips.
By the way, just like I gave you my legal disclaimer above, you should also have a disclaimer for your podcast so that others don’t sue you or come after you for legal damages.
What is Personal Intellectual Property?
Personal intellectual property covers many things like:
- A person’s name, likeness
- Audio files
- Written content
And much more.
It could even be testimonials from customers you use in your business marketing.
How Do You Release It with a Podcast Guest Release Form?
When a podcast guest signs a release form, they agree to transfer the legal rights of the recording and any other intellectual property rights to you so you can use them freely in your podcast episodes and marketing materials.
This would obviously give you peace of mind and assurance that you have permission to use their name, likeness, and any other materials they provide as a guest speaker.
If a guest later decides they don’t want their voice or likeness used in your podcast, you have the release form as proof that they gave you permission.
Different Names for a Podcast Release Form
Podcast guest release forms are known by several different names that are used interchangeably such as:
- Podcast release form
- Podcast consent form
- Podcast guest contract
- Media release agreement
- Podcast guest release form template
- Podcast interview release form
- Podcast release form agreement
- Talent release forms
- Podcast release form template
- Podcast guest release form
When Should You Get Guests to Sign a Podcast Release Form?
State and federal laws protect our intellectual property so to avoid violating them, you should get your guest contributor to sign a podcast release agreement BEFORE conducting guest interviews or using their content.
This way you won’t end up owing the other party money or royalties for their podcast interview or your finished product.
A podcast release form must be signed by the guest before you record the interview to avoid possible legal liability later down the road.
This signature is critical and if you get it AFTER recording the interview, the person can later say that they never agreed to the podcast interview before it was recorded.
A signed agreement helps you avoid long expensive and scary legal problems like lawsuits.
Not only can you end up paying fines, you’ll need to retain legal counsel to protect yourself in your lawsuit and that’s not cheap.
Make sure to use this lawyer-drafted release agreement with your guests.
This podcast legal bundle also comes with many other helpful legal contracts you’ll need for your podcast, which we will talk about below.
How to have Guests Sign a Podcast Release Form?
There are three different ways to have your guests sign the podcast release form:
1. Use an electronic signature service like HelloSign, DocuSign, PandaDoc to get electronic signatures from your guests easily and securely.
2. Create a podcast guest release form online that all your guests can “click to accept”
3. Send the form to your guests and have them sign it physically, then scan it back to you
No matter which method you choose, make sure to keep a copy of the signed release form for your records as proof of consent from your guest. This will protect both you and your podcast in case of any future disputes.
Who Needs to Use a Podcast Interview Release Form?
Every podcaster who plans on recording interviews with guests needs a podcast interview release form.
Plus, you can use a podcast guest release form for other things because every business owner uses other peoples’ names, videos, photos, testimonials, and other content in their business.
Whenever using content, ask yourself if you own the legal rights to use it.
That’s why my podcast release agreement in this bundle covers every aspect of using someone else’s intellectual property.
If you don’t use a podcast guest release form, you may be guilty of copyright infringement. They could even sue for unfair competition, invasion of privacy, or tortious fraud.
If you’re a blogger who accepts guest posts on your website too, you may also want to look at this Guest Blogger Agreement Template.
A Guest Blogging Agreement allows a guest blogger to sign over rights to their guest post so they can’t come back later and claim you didn’t have a right to use it.
What Should You Include in a Podcast Guest Release Form?
While it may seem like just a simple piece of paper, a podcast guest release agreement is necessary for podcasters. You may be thinking about creating your own release form.
The most important thing to include in your podcast release form is the grant of legal rights to you from the guest as well as the waiver of the guest’s right to sue you.
When you include the details of waiving rights from the person you’re interviewing, things can get complicated because it needs to be worded correctly.
Any incorrect verbiage or wording can result in a lawsuit.
Look at this example of a lawsuit that could have been avoided with a release agreement.
For this reason, you should never attempt to put a podcast guest release together yourself or copy any free legal templates online, which are always missing key provisions.
You must have it drafted by a lawyer which is why my professional Podcast Release Agreement Template is just what you need. It was drafted by a business lawyer and blogger – ME!
There are other provisions to include in your podcast guest release form such as:
- Clear consent from the guest for participating in the podcast episode
- Guest agreeing to interview editing and distribution of materials on your social media platforms
- No compensation section if you don’t want to end up owing money later
- Interview cancellation and rescheduling
- Ownership of the intellectual property created
- Your podcast disclaimer
- Release of liability language
- and more!
Click here to check out the Podcast legal bundle I put together that includes this podcast guest release form along with other legal contracts made for podcasters.
What Could Go Wrong if You Don’t Use a Podcast Guest Release Form?
Quite simply, you can be sued which means you’ll lose money and sleep.
I’ve been a business lawyer for over a decade and I’ve seen all kinds of lawsuits.
I’ve represented my clients in a wide variety of legal disputes over the years.
Remember that getting permission or consent from your podcast guests is the best way to avoid legal issues over intellectual property.
By having a podcast guest release form in place, you not only protect your own business but also maintain a professional and respectful relationship with your guests.
It shows that you value their time and contribution to your podcast, while ensuring that both parties are on the same page.
Podcast Release Agreement Template Written by a Business Lawyer
Since I’ve worked with so many business owners fighting various legal battles, I started to see a need for affordable, customizable legal templates for small businesses.
Hiring an attorney to draft a podcast guest form would be very expensive. You are looking at at least $500-$1000.
That’s why I created this affordable podcast legal bundle for entrepreneurs just like you.
It’s easy to customize, you just fill in the blanks where I’ve indicated with your business information, and voila!
You have your own guest release agreement that you can use multiple times with all your podcast guests.
You may also want to check out my legal store where you can find other handy business templates at an inexpensive price.
See what other business owners are saying about my legal templates over on my Facebook business page. You’ll see 300+ five-star reviews.
Watch how Maia went from stressed and frustrated to relieved and proud after purchasing my VIP legal bundle.
Podcast Legal Bundle (4 Contract Templates to Protect Your Podcast)
This Podcast legal bundle is your done-for-you legal solution for getting permission from guests on your podcast.
Here’s what it includes:
- A Podcast Guest Release Agreement template to use with your guests to get permission to use their video or audio recordings freely
- A Podcast Sponsorship Agreement template to use with sponsors for your podcast. Sponsorships are great!
- A Podcast Co-Host agreement to use with your co-hosts.
- A Podcast Production Agreement template to use with your producers
- All the legal templates are drafted by an experienced lawyer who has more than 10 years of legal experience.
- They come with easy idiot-proof instructions to customize the template based on your business in 15 minutes or less!
- Instant download and begin using the legal templates right away!
- Lifetime access to free updates
- Free access to our private Facebook support group here
- Trusted by over 50,000+ bloggers, course creators, freelancers, and other business owners.
PLUS, you’ll receive 2 amazing bonuses worth $200 for free!
Bonus #1 is my Podcast Pitch Template to invite Guests on your show
Bonus #2 is my Podcast Pitch Template to be a Guest on Other Podcasts
You’ll immediately get access to your download as soon as your purchase.
You may also be interested in our VIP Legal Bundle (this one includes more essential contracts and website legal pages)
Additional Benefits of Using a Podcast Guest Release Form Template
Aside from protecting against potential legal issues and setting clear expectations, there are also other benefits to using a podcast guest release form template.
- Protects your brand image: As a podcaster, your brand image is important. By having guests sign a release form, you can ensure that the content shared on your podcast and social media aligns with your brand values and messaging.
- Avoids misunderstandings: Having a written document that outlines the terms and conditions of a guest’s appearance on your podcast can help prevent any misunderstandings or miscommunication between both parties. It also serves as a reference point in case there are any discrepancies in the future.
- Ensures compliance with privacy laws: There are privacy laws that regulate how personal information is collected and used. Having a release form in place can help ensure that you are compliant with these laws.
- Saves time and hassle: Instead of having to negotiate and draft a release form for each guest, using a template can save you time and hassle. You can simply have guests sign the form before recording and focus on creating great content for your podcast.
FAQs on Podcast Guest Release Form
Do you need release forms for podcasts?
Yes, if you plan on interviewing guests on your podcast you need a podcast guest release form.
Without one you can waste a lot of time, go through extreme stress over legal issues that could arise, or worse yet – face a lawsuit and lose your business.
Watch this video to learn more about podcast contracts including this podcast guest release form
Can I use a free podcast guest release form?
While there are tons of free podcast release forms out there, you never want to trust free release forms because they don’t always fully protect you legally. Often, they are missing key clauses or sections that prevent you from being sued or fined.
Investing in a professionally drafted release form can save you a lot of money and headaches in the long run, making it well worth the cost.
For more information, read this article on why 50+ entrepreneurs don’t trust free legal contracts.
How do you pitch a podcast guest?
I have been featured on many podcasts, so the best advice I can give is to be proactive and reach out to podcasters yourself. Do your research and listen to their show before pitching them.
Show genuine interest in what they do, and explain why you would be a valuable guest for their audience.
Also, make sure to mention any relevant experience or expertise that sets you apart as a potential guest.
If you’re looking to have a guest on your podcast, here are some tips for successfully pitching them:
- Research potential guests: Start by researching individuals who align with the topic and theme of your podcast. Look for experts in the field, authors, influencers or anyone who can provide valuable insights to your audience.
- Personalize your pitch: When reaching out to potential guests, make sure to personalize your pitch. Show that you have done your research and explain why you think they would be a great fit for your podcast.
- Provide details: In your pitch, be sure to provide specific details such as the format of the interview, the estimated length of time and when it will be published. This will give the guest a better understanding of what to expect.
- Highlight the benefits: Let the potential guest know why appearing on your podcast would benefit them. This could be reaching a new audience, promoting their work or sharing their expertise with a larger audience.
- Follow up: If you don’t receive a response right away, don’t be afraid to follow up. A friendly reminder may be all that’s needed to get a response.
By following these tips and having a podcast guest release form in place, you can ensure a successful and professional experience for both yourself and your guests.
Final Thoughts on Podcast Guest Release Form
Having a custom guest released form for podcast guests can saving you tons of wasted time and sleepless nights if someone decides to sue you. It’s the best solution and form of legal protection.
On the low end of the catastrophe scale, you may have to take your podcast episode down but on the high end, you may be out tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and fines.
A Podcast Guest Form allows you to get permission to use the interview and once your guest signs it, they waive their rights to future lawsuits.
Even if the interviewee is upset by the editorial direction or creative control you take with the process, once they’ve signed the podcast guest release form they can’t take legal action against you.
If you haven’t started using a media release form yet, make sure ALL future guests sign one.
Don’t forget to join my amazing Facebook community with over 8,000 entrepreneurs and bloggers just like you. Get helpful legal and blogging tips every day.
Related Posts to Podcast Guest Release Form
My legal tips page has blog posts and other valuable legal tips for entrepreneurs. Also, you may also be interested in these articles too:
What 3 Legal Pages You Must Have on Your Website BEFORE You Launch
16 DIY Legal Documents and Templates For Your Online Business
Do you want to start your own affiliate program or already have one? Protect yourself with an Affiliate Agreement
Learn how to protect your business secrets with a Confidentiality Agreement
Do you want to hire a freelancer or provide freelance services of your own? This is the Freelance Contract You Need!
Stolen Content: How to Easily Find and Remove Stolen Blog Content
How to Write Terms and Conditions that Protect Your Business (Plus Template)
VISIT THIS FREEBIES PAGE TO GET 5 AWESOME FREE BUSINESS, BLOGGING AND LEGAL TIPS!
Below are some more helpful blog posts, legal tips, tools and resources that you should check out next:
- Outrank your competition and enhance your content creation
- 13 Worst Website Mistakes to Avoid
- 15 Expensive Legal Mistakes Entrepreneurs Make (and How to Avoid them)
- Beautiful Pinterest templates to increase traffic to your blog!
- What’s an LLC and when to form one?
- How to Legally Protect Your Book (with Proper Copyright Notice and Disclaimer Examples)
- Tax Saving Forms
- CPA Solution Membership to get all your tax and accounting questions answered!
- Get The Simple SORT Handbook: The New Entrepreneur’s Roadmap to Setup, Operate, Record and Tax Slay a Successful Business
- AI writing tool to write blog posts 10x faster, create social media content, videos, and any kind of content to save time in business
- This SEO tool to make sure your blog posts rank on the first page of Google
MORE TOOLS TO GROW YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS
- Free SEO Masterclass to learn how to optimize your blog posts for SEO to rank on Google. You can also buy this awesome bundle of ebooks instead if you prefer ebooks over video training.
- Best accounting software to manage profit and loss and more!
- Best payroll service (super affordable too)
- A great all-in-one business platform for hosting your course, email communications, sales pages, and more!
- This Paraphrasing tool to create original work for the client
- A professional theme for your website
- Millionaire blogger’s secrets here and tons of valuable resources.
- How to start your blogging business and make money online
- How to make money from affiliate marketing
- The Best Freelance Writing Contract Template (for writers and clients)